October 30, 2009

Re-Run Is Gone

Re-Run Is Gone: RIP
This is the first day that I have been able to collect my thoughts in over a week.  My faithful companion has left this planet.  On October 20, Re-Run passed away.  We were playing in the park and a little girl had joined in.  Her mom was fascinated by how well her daughter was doing with a big dog like Re-Run.  Just when she began to explain that the little girl had been scared of all dogs up until now... The cute little girl was running for the ball toward the street.  The woman dropped her paperback and launched across the field after her little girl.  Re-Run was way ahead of Mama and I was running as fast as I could to signal the jeep I saw headed for her.  Re-Run knocked the little girl down and didn’t stop in time not to get hit herself.  I wasn’t fast enough either.  The driver of the jeep stopped and was all shook up.  The sweet mom was holding her little girl tightly.  She and I were shaking uncontrollably.  I looked at them and was glad that they were okay.  Then I looked at poor Re-Run looking up at me.  It did not seem real.  I kept waiting for her to get up and walk, run even.  I could not have gotten there any faster.  I racked my brains over it.  




Honestly, it is just now setting in and even as I write it....  my entire being is sickened, saddened, leaning towards denial.  She was my greatest friend here.  She had become my family here.  It hurts to let her go.  It tears me apart to wake up and not see her staring at me.  The girl in the jeep felt so bad about it.. she offered to help take us to the vet.  Without even thinking.. I loaded my Spirit Keeper into her jeep and gave the girl, Brittany, directions to the shelter.  I held Re-Run in my lap all the way there.  All of us were in tears by the end of the night when we realized there was little we could do.  I brought her back home and loved on her as much as possible.  The next day, Re-Run didn’t wake up.  She died next to me.  I have not been able to really talk much since that morning.  It plays over and over again in my mind.  The gals helped me bring her to my childhood home which now stands abandoned.  We gave her a proper burial in the backyard of my innocent days beneath the tree that once had our big rope swing hanging from it.

Rest in Peace Re-Run, keeper of my Spirit...  Thank you for your precious time.  Thank you for choosing me.   



Re-Run Is Gone: thank you for choosing me

No comments:

Post a Comment