July 06, 2009

Who Am I to Complain?

Wow...  I had to step out and away from myself for a couple of days!  What was that morbid goth-like spell that came over me?

 The closest I ever got to that was those few months back in high school....... (that I never told anyone about but that weird poet girl).  I really needed her at that time though and had forgotten about all of that until these last days.  My trip down the dark rabbit hole did not go too deep and I imagine that people who think like that constantly must have a really hard time functioning in day-to-day society.  Just a brush with it threw me off and now I am playing catch up!!  Besides that experience during my teenage years, I have not viewed life in that way and in fact had a hard time understanding why some people lean more that way.  I had a few “deep” friends back in the day.  But we have not been in touch.  I have kept busy with work and volunteering at the local shelter.  I have put so much on my plate that I do not have time to wonder what else is going on or how fucked up everything is.  

Those old cliché phrases we heard over and over again from our grandparents were true.  “Idle hands are the Devil’s playground” or “Be thankful for what you have” or “... there are kids starving in Africa!!!”   My Grandpa used to laugh when he talked about the Great Depression.  He said that “If you didn’t have much to loose in the first place, then it didn’t really hit you so hard.”  It was impressive to me that he could laugh when talking about such hard times.  It really struck a chord in me and I figure if they can laugh about damn near starving and becoming orphans, 

Who Am I to Complain: a return to innocence  


then my generation could laugh through our hardships.  The homeless at the shelter never talk to me about hard times.  They just get in line and wait to get some warm food.  Anyway, who am I to complain?


I think this guy has it all figured out!!!





2 comments: